Saturday, November 11, 2006

Fall Apples Appeal




















At a local farm stand I pass on the way to work the apples were fresh off the tree and it was self-service, too. These winesaps and some lovely green Granny Smiths were so beautiful.
I've been recovering from a minor surgery and finally felt like I could do some cooking today.

My sweetie decided to broil some pork chops. My contributions were mashed potatoes with the skins still on which were earthy and delicious, plus apple slices cooked with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. These were both easy to prepare, and went really well with the chops.


























Having two colors of apples added to the appeal (sorry, but I grew up in a household of punsters) and these particular varieties have a good tartness that was actually highlighted by the small amount of brown sugar. I left on the peel both for the added color and for more fiber. When all you have to do before slicing them is remove the seeds and trim out the stem and blossom end, it goes pretty quickly. Peel them if you prefer.


My method is to slice the apple in half, use a melon ball tool to remove the area with the seeds in each half, then use a small knife to cut out the stem and blossom end in each half. Slice each half, throw them in a pot with about 1/4 cup water (for 3 apples), 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring now and then, until apples are just tender. Serve warm or cold.


No comments :

Post a Comment